About Me

My photo
An ordinary, down to earth, freedom loving, extremely caring but emotional person. Believe in Equality, Fraternity, Humanity, Integrity and Simplicity. Always try to project myself as what I am. I am delighted when I get an opportunity to help someone.

Monday, October 11, 2010

Friendship Day

Last night one unusual thing happened. I got an email from one of my friends...Happy Friendship Day in advance. I was quite surprised. We always remember our friends but for the first time I received friendship day greetings. I asked my friend, ‘why do we celebrate Friendship Day’? ‘Like Mother’s Day, Father’s Day we have Friendship Day’, she replied. I was not convinced. I asked her that there is a reason behind any celebration. Kindly let me know the reason to celebrate Friendship Day. Interestingly, I got the reply ‘Aapane Had Kar Di’.

Friendship day is celebrated on the first Sunday of the August month every year. Friends meet and exchange gifts on this day. There is nothing wrong in its celebration but now commercialization of relationship has been started. It shows the proactiveness of market forces. Friendship i.e., feeling of love, affection, intimacy, brotherhood, protection etc can’t be measured in terms of gifts. We may expect Break-up Day, Divorce Day, Tie-up Day...in near future!!

It’s easy to make friends but very difficult to find real/good friends. Generally, it is said that good friends possess qualities like; honesty, trustworthiness, supportive, compassion, stick with you in all times particularly in bad times. But I believe that it’s ‘Care’ which distinguishes a good friend from friends. 

Good friends don’t necessarily agree with you on everything but give impartial opinion. At the same time they do their best to stick up for you when you are in trouble or crisis even if you are not justified. What I mean to say that it’s duty of good friend to be rational and forbid him from committing any wrong doings. But if he still sticks to it then rally behind him.

Fortunately, I have got 2-3 real friends. I still remember one incident. It so happened that after graduation my friend took admission in other university for pursuing career in International Relations. Although we were in the same city but living together was not feasible. One day while on the way to AIIMS for medical check-up suddenly my condition started deteriorating so I informed him to reach AIIMS immediately. He was there before I could reach. After check-up when everything came normal, we decided to spend some time together in hostel. While walking in the night, I came to know that his exam had already commenced and he preferred me to appearing for exam. I was very angry with him. I asked him, ‘why did you drop paper’? ‘Exam to hota hi rahta hai’, he replied with smiles. Later, his thesis was awarded as best dissertation submitted in last ten years.

In fact, virtues like Caring-Sharing (emotional support) and Forgiveness-Unselfishness provide the foundation of real friendship. Sacrifice is the synonym of friendship. Everyone knows Sufi singer Wadali brothers. The elder brother (Puranchand) refused Padmashree award when it was offered only to him. In Mahabharata, Karn sacrificed the crown offered by Pandavas for the sake of his friendship with Kauravas.

Good friends are those who can make the meaning of silence. Sometimes silence speaks a lot. Watch the face of your friend, try to read facial expression, feel his feelings and you will get the answer.

Let’s remember (feel) the feelings of real friends and celebrate Friendship Day!!

1 comment:

  1. This was my 5th blog on community portal of NIIT. One of my friends commented that though I was hesitant to express my feelings orally but very good in giving words to feelings!! Kudos friends!!

    ReplyDelete